Pistachio Cake, Salted Caramel, Pistachio, Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
Yesterday I had a shot of Espresso coffee.
The stuff is nice and bitter and strong. Gives me a mixture of funny emotions – anxiety, stress, increased focus and some creativity.
Had some flashbacks of things I’ve eaten and places I’ve been to.
Cutler & Co, Burch & Purchese, Luxbite, Golden Fields…
… so I came up with this: Pistachio Cake, Salted Caramel, Pistachio and Dark Chocolate Ice Cream. Structured and put together like Golden Field’s Peanut Butter Parfait with Salted Caramel, Peanut and Chocolate.
Let’s get down to business shall we?
P.S. Before I begin, I must admit that the Dark Chocolate ice cream was purchased from Coles. I can’t be stuffed making my own ice cream anymore from scratch (given I don’t have an ice cream machine). If you want to, just follow my previous recipe and add melted chocolate instead of peanut butter, mix well and freeze.
A handful of pistachios, 75g plain flour, 8g of baking powder, 35g of sugar, 1 egg, 2 drops of green pandan food colouring.
Salted Caramel: 200g caster sugar, 45g butter, 50g glucose, pinch of salt.
1. Line a baking tin with oil and baking paper.
2. Heat up an oven to 175 C (350 F).
3. Mix the egg, sugar with an electric mixer for roughly minutes (should be thick and pale).
5. Use a food processor to bust the pistachios… (in my case, I crushed them with a mortar and pestle). Mix thoroughly and then pour the cake mixture into the cake tin.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 12 – 15 minutes. To see if it’s ready, grab a skewer and poke through the cake. Remove the skewer… a clean skewer means it’s ready, a skewer covered in green goo means NOT READY dumb-dumb!
7. When the cake’s ready, turn off the oven (unless you want to burn down your house hahahaha kidding kidding) and whip out the cake.
8. To make the salted caramel, get a large saucepan, pour in the cream, sugar, glucose and stir over medium heat using a whisk. The mixture should reach 118C (if you have a thermometer for cooking) and add in the butter and salt. Turn off the stove and leave to cool.
9. Cut up the cake. Smear on the salted caramel. Sprinkle on crushed/blitzed pistachios. Then get a quennelle of dark chocolate ice cream and pop it on top of the cake, salted caramel and pistachio. The sprinkle on more crushed pistachio onto the ice cream… and devour like a hungry pig :D
And here’s another shot of the dish… the light today was horrible due to the grey skies so had to increase the photo’s brightness using imaging software applications…
Hope you enjoy it! Until next time folks!