Poached Chicken, Bokchoy, Toasted Quinoa
Juggling the feeding of 5 people (including myself), bills, saving up for a new car and a property in a decent suburb is nuts – no holidays for the short-term.
One of the places I wanna check out is highly-regard Chef Andoni Luiz Arduriz’s Mugaritz Restaurant in Spain. The closest I’ll ever get to it, is probably Dan Hunter (an Australian Mugaritz-trained disciple – but has since left The Royal Mail Hotel in Victoria’s Grampians for a new venture).
Navigating through a few posts – I landed on a few blogs, including Petitmiamx’s, that reviewed The Royal Mail Hotel.
So I got an idea – poached chicken with bokchoy and toasted quinoa.
200g chicken breast
1 teaspoon of salt
2 pinches of pepper
2 coriander stems with leaves (sliced and diced)
1 spring onion stalk (sliced and diced)
1 stalk of bokchoy
2 tablespoons of sesame paste
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of light soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon of fish sauce
1 pinch of sugar
1 cup of quinoa (washed and drained)
Edible flowers for garnish (I used Violas)
1. Clean the chicken breast. Sprinkle on the salt and pepper and place into a saucepan with enough water to cover the chicken breast. Throw in the coriander, spring onion and bring to a light boil on medium high heat. Reduce the heat to low and poach for 30 minutes. Remove the breast then drain, but keep the liquid in which you poached the chicken breast in.
2. Clean the bokchoy and slice vertically down the stalk so that you have a lengthy strip. Poach/blanche/whatever the bokchoy in the chicken breast and coriander, spring onion water for 45 seconds – 1 minute. Remove and drain.
5. Wash and drain the edible flowers.
6. Plate up by laying down the poached bokchoy. Smear on the sesame paste mix and pop the chicken breast on the sesame paste. Place some on some quinoa and garnish with the edible flowers.
7. And here you go… the finished product!!!
P.S. A very special thanks to Zeboy & Ms I-Hua for advice on where to get edible flowers – Damian Pike’s Store in the Prahran Market! :D